Uses for a PDA in 2017

• Martin
  • Martin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #1 by Martin
Uses for a PDA in 2017 was created by Martin
OK, so 15 years ago they were all the rage, these days Windows Mobile PDA's can be picked up for next to nothing. Ive just picked up one of the best from that era, the HP iPaq HX4700.

So the question is, in 2017, what good uses can we use it for and ill post up my adventures on here.

Out of the box the machine runs Windows Mobile 2003se features a 4" 480x640 Screen. It runs a 624MHz Intel XScale processor, 64MB of ram with 128MB of Flash storage. It features 802.11b Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Unusually it features a touchpad with an onscreen pointer that works just like any modern laptop!

There is an official upgrade to Windows Mobile 5.0 from HP which I will try out but ALSO unofficial upgrades to as late as WM6.5, which of course we will try out!

anyone ever had any cool uses for one, good apps or games to try? even write any custom apps?

Martin,
Hardware Hackers Team
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Martin
  • Martin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #2 by Martin
Replied by Martin on topic Uses for a PDA in 2017
About the best success ive had so far is managing to use it as a desk clock!!! :P

HP have the download on their website for WM5 update, however only the v2.01 version which was a FREE update to the PAID for version V2.0 - which cannot be found online ANYWHERE, all links are dead. So i cant get WM5 on it yet.

All the links to WM6 or WM6.1 are also dead, and it appears most of the community for old school PDA's is the same :-(

WM2003se Doesnt support modern Wi-Fi so i cant get it to connect to my Wi-Fi

it features an early version of Bluetooth which my car infotainment system doesnt support so i cant use it to stream music.............

anything ive missed? :unsure:

Martin,
Hardware Hackers Team
Attachments:

More
6 years 6 months ago #3 by Nik
Replied by Nik on topic Uses for a PDA in 2017
At least you have a fancy looking retro-tech desk clock... ;)

---
Why ???
Because I can !!!

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

About Hardware Hackers

Hardware Hackers, Modifying For The Greater Good! Follow us while we take you on a journey of custom computer modifying mayhem. We are available on Facebook & YouTube see our links below.

Why not join in the fun at our community forum? Visit forum or Create an account.

Subscribe For Updates

Subscribe to get our latest updates straight to your inbox and stay updated on the latest developments from the HwH Team!